Search This Blog

Friday, July 28, 2006

New Tricks

A first this morning. I couldn't figure out how to turn on the shower in my room at the Holiday Inn in Kearny, Nebraska. My C.V.: I've stayed in a lot of hotel rooms, overnighted with family & friends, had quite a few of my own addresses in seven states. Never have I been unable to make a shower work. (Regulating water temperature can be trickier & will not be addressed here.) I've got an engineering degree and made a career working in situations where the unknown had to be examined to correct a problem. (Said problems usually involved human input from someone who insisted in the face of hard evidence to the contrary that they had followed directions EXACTLY!) By most standards, I am qualified to turn on showers worldwide.

A call to the front desk brought several suggestions from Ty, all involving buttons and levers that didn't exsist. He offered to come up to show me, but since I was puffy-eyed with morning breath & bed hair, wearing only my birthday suit, I declined. Bad move, as it only delayed the inevitable. I dressed hastily in a combination of yesterday's rumpled clothing and pajamas, not bothering with toothpaste or comb. Ty politely ignored my personal appearance. The shower baffled him as well, making me feel better.

The solution involved pulling down on a ring on the spigot. New one, which I have added to my repertoire. One shower and a Diet Pepsi later, I am more amused. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

No comments: