Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2007

One Less Plastic Bag

To publicize my environmental action today is somewhat embarrassing. I rummaged through the bottom of the coat closet and found the cloth shopping bags I haven't used in 10 years. Why have I let them sit unused, while I've contributed umpteen thousand plastic bags to the environment? Oh sure, I've soothed my conscience by re-using them as garbage bags and for packing material, recycling hundreds more. But the reality is that I took the most convenient path and used the plastic bags.

Today, I took those cloth bags to the grocery and used them. I'll keep them in my truck and use them again later this week. And next week, and the week after that. And again, and again. Not just one less plastic bag, 1000 less plastic bags!

Tomorrow is recycle day in my neighborhood. I will pat myself on the back when I put out a recycle bin that is twice as big as our garbage bin. And then I need to work on reducing the number of plastic bottles in that recycle bin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I've been using reusable bags for about two years now. Today I am taking a big bag full of good stuff from my studio to have my quilting friends go through and take what they want - I needed a few plastic bags for them to carry stuff (just in case) and actually had a hard time finding some! The Maui County Council is working on an "anti-plastic" bag bill for 2008 - I am supporting it and sincerely hope it passes.

Happy Holidays and Aloha!